Monday, March 3, 2008

Training Update

February 9, Week 2 of Training:

We did 3 miles today. 1 mile as a time trial, then 2 miles. During the 1 mile lap, we had to hold potato chips between our fingers to practice not clenching our fists. At the end, some guy had an epileptic seizure and had to go to the hospital, but he was fine. There's this woman about my mom's age who KICKS MY ASS every week, so my goal is to catch up to her pace. This week we have to do 4 miles and I have to meet with the nutritionist. My first mile was my slowest and my 3rd mile was my fastest, so I figure that's good. We got to eat sweaty potato chips at the end.

February 2, 2008, Week 1: First major accomplishment is actually making it to training! Waking up at 6 AM is not my idea of a good time. Training is at 7 in Griffith Park, conveniently not too far away from the house. Later, we'll go to the Rose Bowl, which means getting up at least 15 minutes earlier. Blech. At 7 AM, Griffith Park is PACKED. Who are all these crazy people? There's a Korean running club set up next to us that has a BBQ going. What time did they start running that they're ready to eat Korean BBQ at 7 AM?

I also went to an actual running store and bought ridiculously expensive running shoes and socks. Although Gretchen tells me they make more expensive socks. At the store, the guy made me walk around with no shoes on to see whether I walk on the outside or the inside of my feet, so that he can fit me correctly. His verdict is that I start on the outside and roll to the inside. You know what this means? I still walk like a BAND DORK! Tom Shine would be so proud! I bet I still walk 8 to 5 as well. Then I try on a bunch of shoes and run down Ventura Blvd. The running guy says I have "good form." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I have never run more than 50 yards in my entire life (and that was for Field Day in elementary school). Plus, how can you not have good form running half a block? I was just trying to not appear winded after running the half-block.

So, anyway, $95 shoes, 2 pairs of $9 socks, and a windbreaker later, I am an official runner! Never mind that I haven't actually run yet. I have made purchases from a running store. Therefore I am a runner.

1 comment:

Ron Thompson said...

Damn, you are such a stud! I know the guy who owns (or used to own) the Merry-Go-Round at Griffith Park. Actually, he dated a friend of mine.