Saturday, March 22, 2008

March 22, 2008: I've Got Blisters on My Blisters!

I did not know it was actually possible to get blisters on your blisters, but it is. Cuz I got some. Luckily, they don't really hurt, so I'm not too concerned.

The goal this Saturday was just to get through training. I wasn't going to run, I wasn't going to train for a specific time; it would be accomplishment enough to make all 9 miles. 9 MILES!! I wasn't feeling super motivated or fit this week since I had basically done everything wrong: Didn't run at all during the week since I was battling a little cold, drank a TON of beer last night watching NCAA March Madness, ate like total crap along with the tons of beer, and didn't get a lot of sleep cuz some drunk kept snoring in my ear (that would be Grant). Although I had eaten better and not drank very much during the week, due to cold.

The course today was the Los Feliz Loop (no more bitching about that) for 3 miles, then 6 miles up this big-ass hill, then back to the picnic tables. Los Feliz Loop wasn't nearly as hard this time. Last time we did this 2 or 3 weeks ago, I thought I was going to have to sit and wait for the bus to come by and pick me up, I was so miserable. This time, no problemo. I was walking with Irma, who generally has the same pace as me and is also doing the SB Half. We walked together last week, too. We did the 3 miles at a 15:10 pace, only walking, pretty good for not trying too hard. Unfortunately, Irma had hurt her toe somehow, and started slowing down for the next mile, so our pace went down to about a 17 mile for the next mile. She went back to base, and then I was on my own after the Water Station. I was doing pretty good at getting my pace back on track, listening to Michael Jackson's Off the Wall! Then I hit THE HILL. It's a big-ass hill. Full of blind curves, so I couldn't ever tell when the DOWN part would start. I was huffing and puffing and had to stop a few times. It wasn't as steep as the Hill Of Pure Evil last week, but it just kept going and going. All I kept saying was "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" It wasn't as amusing without my Dad to annoy by asking that 10,000 times. Also, Steve, if you're reading this "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you"

Anyway, I FINALLY made it to the top of this damn hill and made it to the downhill and the next Water Station. Never has Gatorade tasted so good. I finished all 9 miles in 2 hours and 22 minutes. It is insane that I actually WALKED for 2 hours and 22 minutes. It is insane that I walked from Los Feliz to Burbank AND BACK. AND BACK!! So, without trying too hard, I shaved some time off my training. I probably would have been faster if I hadn't slowed down for that one mile or had been trying to maintain pace, but I feel pretty good that I got my time down w/o running and I think the next time I tackle the hill, it will be easier.

After training, we had a big Easter party. It was huge! There was a tent, and waffles, PopTarts, fresh coffee, candy, egg dyeing, hula hooping, prizes--it was fun. Oh, and we had these:
http://www.frootloops.com/cerealstraws/



Or, The End of Western Civilization. Froot Loop Straws. I LOVED Froot Loops, yet am appalled by these.

Goals for this week:
LONG (6+ mile) training to build up endurance. I hit that wall at 5 miles every time, and I need to build up endurance

Less Beer/More Calcium :(

No more Easter Candy

Raise that last $900

Happy Easter!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3eJxZEai0



And JUST for Kacey:

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Well Lida, you officially kicked my ass this weekend. I was supposed to run 18 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. I went to a music festival in Mendocino this weekend, and managed to run 5 miles Saturday morning, and zero on Sunday. I had a hell of a good time, but going to bed at 6 am has a way of catching up with you. I am so proud of you for going 9 miles after having a cold and drinking the night before!
You have inspired my own re-commitment...I am on spring break this week, so I will need to run big all week to maku for being such a slacker. Wish me luck.
"Thank you Lida Bunny! Bok Bok!"

Lisa said...

HA! Well, I'm sure that's the first, last, and only time I will ever do more exercising than you. Sounds like you had a great time, though.